Truckers play a big role in ensuring economies run smoothly. Sometimes it is hard for people to notice their role, yet they are responsible for delivering about 80% of everything to our homes and companies. These tasks require a lot of effort and sacrifices that many cannot perceive. Some drivers consider driving trucks as more of a lifestyle than a job.
Common characteristics of the Trucking World To better understand the trucking world one has to take a deeper look into how drivers relate to one another, their families and employers. Furthermore, understanding how truckers socialize and their experiences while on transit could be vital for someone planning to land a job or invest in the industry. Here are several things to note for anyone interested in the industry:
- They have their own language that can be difficult for other people to understand such as bear to mean a police officer.
- They rarely see their families as they spend much time on transit.
- Job turnover rate is very high. It is estimated 8 out of 10 drivers do not last in the job for a year.
- They can have a driving buddy to ease the loneliness of long-haul driving and as an assistant driver.
- They can get fired for picking up a hitchhiker.
The Lifestyle of a Truck Driver
Truck drivers spend days or even months away from home. Some find these conditions harsh while others enjoy traveling and seeing the beauty of different cultures. Depending on delivery and pick up locations drivers spend much time at rest stops and motels. Some prefer to sleep in their trucks to cut off expenses. Truckers get opportunities to travel and get paid well, although it can be challenging for parents with little kids.
Truck driving is a lucrative career for those in need of reliable money. Truck driving, however, can be harmful to one’s health due to long working hours and bad eating habits. Employers respect truckers for sacrificing time and family bond to meet the company’s deadlines.
Take control of your freight with an Asset-Based 3PL Logistics Trucking Company
that can assure you transparency from the port to your destination nationwide, request a free quote today and discover your asset-based logistics solution.